Thursday, January 30, 2014

Gravity 3D


You know that feeling when a movie is super hyped up from everyone you know, including the media? Gravity is, for sure, one of those movies; you hear how intense it is, how you will be at the edge of your seat, you won't take a deep breath until it's over, Sandra Bullock is incredible, blah, blah, blah. This is exactly the kind of hype that makes me want to absolutely hate a movie (that's just my upbeat attitude shining through like the morning sun). I regret to inform you that this movie rained on my downer parade and turned out to live up to the hype and be awesome, by the way.

After the movie was over I found that I had clinched my jaw and fists throughout the entire movie. Thanks for the TMJ, Gravity. I haven't seen the movie without 3D so I can't compare and contrast, but I highly recommend the 3D version. I don't usually find a need to pay the extra money to see a movie in 3D, but this one is an exception. Please go see this movie while it's in the theater and, for heaven's sake, pay the extra cash for 3D.

I am so glad that the movie starts and ends in the sweet spot. It is rare that a movie can succeed with very little back story. Usually when this happens you walk away from the movie feeling a little flat because you didn't care about any of the characters. The beauty of this movie is that the situation is so riveting that it doesn't really matter who the character is, you end up inserting yourself into the action and wondering how you would react (safe to say that I won't be looking for astronaut jobs on Craigslist any more).

Spoiler alert: this movie is not filmed in space. Ha, I know this seems obvious, but you will forget this fact during the movie. So, hats off to the real star of the movie, the green screen. Such an ambitious film. I am in awe of the incredibly talented people behind it.

If you are looking for a straight up fun time at the movies, go see Gravity. If you think you are having a bad day and want to feel better about your situation, go see Gravity. If you want to see a movie that does not require you to figure out any tricky plot twists, go see Gravity. If you want to relax, stay home.

Gravity is rated PG-13 for intense perilous sequences (understatement of the century), some disturbing images, and strong brief language.


2 comments:

  1. I've been so nervous to see Gravity since we have a family friend who's a retired astronaut, but I think I might have to suck it up and go see it while it's still in theaters after reading your review! I can't believe you spoiled it though... seesh! ;) Thanks for the awesome review, Ronda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey I look forward to hearing back once you see it. You won't be sorry. Just don't go after a stressful day at work.

      Delete