Friday, January 31, 2014

Blue Jasmine


I absolutely love this movie. Wow, I am completely surprised by how much I love this movie. Disclaimer: I am not a big fan of Woody Allen. I watched Blue Jasmine because I wanted to see Cate Blanchett's performance as she is the front runner to win the Oscar for Best Actress. I really expected to like Cate Blanchett despite the movie. I may have never been more wrong about a movie. I honestly can not understand how Blue Jasmine was not nominated in the Best Movie category.

Cate Blanchett's performance was flawless (and her wardrobe was unbelievable). The story was interesting. The characters were well developed. I mean, I really don't have anything bad to say about this movie. If every Woody Allen movie was like this one I would be on Team Allen (at least as a filmmaker...just sayin'). So, I'm interested to hear from Woody Allen fans. I know I am in the minority since most people love his films. 

Sally Hawkins was nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category. While her performance was good, it was not a stand out to me. Its third and final nomination was for Best Original Screenplay (Woody Allen); it was a really interesting story. 

You should see this movie, right now, tonight, that might be pushing it, maybe this weekend, oh wait, Super Bowl, maybe next week, you could watch it Saturday, unless you are planning your Super Bowl party, sorry to boss you around, just do what I tell you, go to Redbox.

Blue Jasmine is rated PG-13 for thematic material, language and sexual content.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big Woody Allen fan either but this film sounds like a good one. I'm going to watch it. I'll let you know what I think after I do. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete